The Girls Empowerment and Mainstreaming Sustainably (GEMS) project is a three-year initiative developed and implemented in collaboration with VSO in Nepal. Its primary objective is to contribute to the long-term impact of fostering a more inclusive society and equitable development in Nepal. The project focuses on strengthening girls' education, improving access to healthcare, and empowering women and girls.
- Enhanced enabling policy environment and accountability for gender-responsive, inclusive education and health systems.
- Improved self-efficacy and life skills of marginalized adolescent girls.
- Enhanced agency, networks, and collaboration to enable adolescent girls to claim their rights.
VSO Nepal and the British Council are jointly delivering outcomes 1 and 3. The British Council is solely responsible for delivering outcome 2.
Project Components and Interventions in 2023/24:
- Gender-responsive, pro-poor policies.
- Self-efficacy and life skills development.
- Collaboration to amplify women and girls' voices.
The project will be implemented through Community Learning Centres (CLCs), which will not only ensure the sustainability of the project but also enhance the capacity of CLCs to support the initiative.