Most international students need a student visa to study in the UK. Finding out whether you need a visa to study is easy - simply check here on GOV.UK.

Your student visa will allow you to live and study in the UK throughout your course.

Types of student visa


If you are 16 or over and want to study at a higher education level, you’ll need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

You need to wait until you have an offer from a university or college before applying for your Tier 4 (General) student visa. Your university or college will then be able to give you a document called a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). To do this, your chosen institution needs to be approved by the UK government as a ‘licensed Tier 4 sponsor’.

Find out more about Tier 4 (General) student visas  


Short term study visas are available to students who want to join courses that are up to six months long or English language courses up to 11 months long. Find out more about short-term study visas 


Please find some guidance on immigration provisions made by the Home Office for individuals affected by travel restrictions associated with COVID-19 and recent information on UK Higher Education and Visas in the 'downloads' section below. The Home Office has published guidance on GOV.UK on immigration provisions for individuals and sponsors.

Please note that these are for a broad group of stakeholders so not all of it may be relevant.

External links