If you want a career in English teaching, a CELTA course at the British Council could be the ideal starting place.
CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an internationally recognised English teaching qualification for people with little or no previous teaching experience. It is one of the most widely taken qualifications of its kind and it is essential for anyone hoping to work for a reputable English language teaching institution such as the British Council.
Our intensive, four-week CELTA course helps participants acquire the language awareness, lesson planning and classroom management skills needed to teach English to adult learners. It is a full-time course that is challenging and rewarding in equal measure. Candidates' performance is assessed on a daily basis and they are expected to meet regular deadlines.
CELTA is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the world-famous University of Cambridge.
ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- train as part of a small group and receive individual support and attention
- attend daily input sessions focusing on language awareness and teaching methodology
- plan and deliver six hours of observed teaching and receive feedback on your performance
- produce four written assignments on language, learning and teaching theory
- observe other course participants and more experienced British Council teachers
- find out what it is like to work in a busy and successful teaching centre.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE COVER?
Core CELTA input sessions cover:
- methods of presenting and practising language
- correction techniques
- lesson planning
- classroom management
- using learning technologies.
In terms of planning and teaching, you will work with a group of trainees to teach part of a lesson every day and gain experience of teaching learners at different levels.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
There is no final written exam, but you will be assessed on your:
- planning and teaching
- ability to apply what you learn in the classroom
- awareness of the strengths and weaknesses of your teaching
- contribution to group input and feedback sessions
- written assignments
Why should I do the CELTA at the British Council in Nepal?
As a follow up to the course you will have an opportunity for an internship programme at different English language training centres in Kathmandu like RTC, where you can practice what you learnt on the course. This will not only give you the practical experience of teaching young adults but will also build your skills and understanding of managing students of a different cultural background.