The British Council
The British Council is the UK’s international organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
The British Council is highly experienced in managing vocational education and training programmes throughout the world. It has extensive experience in managing large TVET projects including financial management, procurement, contract management and monitoring and evaluation. It has supported various governments in institutional reforms and capacity development in TVET sector, organizational restructuring of TVET institutions, quality improvement of TVET and partnership programs for linkages of TVET trainees to various industry employments.
The Project - ‘EU-Nepal Practical Partnership for Technical Vocational Education and Training Reform’ has the overall objective of contributing to Nepal’s inclusive and sustainable growth through investment in human capital and by creating better employment opportunities.
The British Council Nepal is recruiting a Driver for TVET project.
ACCOUNTABILITIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN DUTIES
The Driver will be responsible for driving project vehicle safely, maintaining vehicle and provide secretarial support to the project team.
The specific duties comprise, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drive project staff and officials to meetings, workshops, field visits and other work-related destinations safely and on time.
- Pick-up and drop consultant/staff/delegates from airport, residence or designated destination, as necessary.
- Drive consultant/project staff to field, as necessary.
- Obtain security clearance for official field visits, as necessary.
- Ensure vehicle is regularly maintained, clean and in good condition at all times.
- Keep up to date record of vehicle log book, mileage, fuel consumption, vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Perform minor repairs of vehicle as necessary.
- Strictly follow Nepalese traffic rules and regulations and safety instructions.
- Follow necessary steps required by the law in the event of accident.
- Timely inform Admin officer of any accident, damage or required repairs.
- Attain necessary vehicle insurance, timely pay necessary taxes and keep vehicle documents up to date.
- Collect and deliver documents, mail and packages from/to designated points and maintain record of such delivery and collection.
- Assist staff in secretarial work including in payment of utility bills, distribution of invitations / publications, filing, photocopying and document binding.
- Perform other duties as required that may be assigned from time to time.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Ability to understand and communicate well in English.
Knowledgeable of local traffic laws, familiar with Kathmandu valley streets, locations of major landmarks, organizations, and government offices.
Excellent interpersonal skills
Over 5 years of driving experience – at least 2 years of driving 4WD vehicle and at least 2 years in an international organization / project transporting expats.
Experience of driving vehicle in Nepalese highway and hilly roads.
OTHER IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB
We encourage work life balance. However, the job will require frequent trips outside Kathmandu. It will also involve occasional weekend and evening work. Such requirements will be managed and compensated within British Council HR’s regulations.
Deadline to apply: 6 November 2017
Please send your CV and Application letter along with three professional references in email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only Shortlisted candidates will be invited for the selection process