You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF 933 kb). It contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay in cash at the British Council Office.
5. Prepare and submit your documents while you visit our office for payment
Please make sure you provide ALL of the following documents:
- Two recent photos (passport size) that:
- have been taken within the past six months
- are taken against a plain background
- show the test taker with a neutral expression (no smiling) with mouth closed
- show the test taker without glasses (if you wear them)
(Please be aware that your picture may appear on your Test Result Form)
- A photocopy of your identification document (your passport)
6. The only form of payment is in cash at the cash counter at the British Council office
Cash counter opening hours: 9:45 AM - 4:00PM (Lunch Break: 12:30-1:15)
Only making the payment does not confirm the registration, you need to submit the required set of documents for confirmed registration.
7. Complete your registration
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
We need to receive all documents within fourteen days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within fourteen days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS
- We will send you a confirmation email four to five weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact our Exams Services at General.Enquiry@britishcouncil.org.np
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. An Administrative fee of NRs. 3450 is charged for refund and you will receive a 75 % refund of the test fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (PDF 42kb) with the supporting evidence. Supporting evidence may include a medical certificate from a qualified medical practitioner (with NMC no), a death certificate, or a police report. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.Download the (refund or date tranfer) form and submit it with the required documents to the British Council Nepal Office.
- If the refund is approved and you wish someone else to collect the refund amount for you, then you can authorise someone to collect the refund amount on your behalf with a signed authorisation letter giving this person’s name and ID number. The person must carry the mentioned ID while collecting.
Test day transfers
- If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form with the supporting evidence. Supporting evidence may include a medical certificate from a qualified medical practitioner (with NMC no), official recommendation letter to attend any official training with flight itinerary where possible or a police report. An Administrative fee of NRs. 3450 is charged for Test Date Transfer.