You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1) Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF 933 kb). It contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2) Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3) Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is before Listening, Reading and Writing test day.
4) Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay in cash at the British Council Office.
5) Visit our office for payment
IELTS candidates are requested to submit payment receipt at Customer Service Desk including the following candidate’s correct details:
- Full Name:
- Test Date:
- IELTS Reference No:
- MRP Passport No:
- Candidates must bring original passport along with photocopy of Passport during their speaking test.
6) The only form of payment is in cash at the cash counter at the British Council office
Cash counter opening hours: 9:00 to 2:00 Monday to Friday (Lunch Break: 12:30 – 1:15)
Only making the payment does not confirm the registration, you need to submit the copy of payment slip at Customer Services Desk for confirmed registration.
7) Complete registration
We need to receive all documents within six working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents(payment slip) within six working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8) After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS
Please Note: Wrist watches are not allowed inside the exam hall including during your Speaking Test.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
Refunds and Test Date Transfer
- Any candidates who wish to reschedule or cancel the test must do so 5 weeks before the exam date. No requests will be entertained after that deadline.
- You must complete and submit Refund and / or Test day transfer form to our customer service desk.
- In the case of rescheduling the candidate will only be allotted a new seat and date upon availability.
- Candidates are required to pay administration fees of NPR 4250 both in case of refund and test date transfer once the request is approved.
- If the refund is approved and you wish someone else to collect the refund amount for you, then you can authorise someone to collect the refund amount on your behalf with a signed authorisation letter giving this person’s name and ID number. The person must carry the mentioned ID while collecting.